2

Two weeks on Twitter

It’s exactly two weeks since I signed up for Twitter – it’s been quite a ride!  After 24 hours I was following 47 and being followed by 38, that’s now up to 179 following and 114 followers.  I’ve done a bit of searching/trawling to find interesting and relevant people to follow and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the number of people who follow in return.  There’s been some dodgy ones too, I’ve found myself followed by one or two women who are probably better placed in the late night tv ads!  Needless to say I didn’t follow them back.

It is an interesting notion, this one of following.  Unlike facebook where I felt quite uncomfortable asking people to be my friend (I described it as like being back in the primary school playground), following people feels different.  It’s more like you are expressing your respect for a person by following them, rather than asking for something from them by requesting their friendship.

I think I’m still a listener rather than a talker or a hub.  I’m really enjoying the flow of conversation and I’m getting much more of a sense of individual personalities that somehow don’t come across in blog posts.  Previously I read Dean Groom’s blog and thought he must be one very serious individual, someone to be admired from afar, who only had worthy things to say with no time for frivolity.  From Twitter I’ve discovered that he is a bit of a ****stirrer and very cheeky with it!  I’ve discovered that Sue Waters is human and has real life dramas with toilets and children (previously she was the perfect all-knowing blogger and general tech expert).

I’ve enjoyed participating when people have asked for tweets on local weather conditions or time or just to say hello in presentations they are doing.

So far I’ve only found one person I actually have a direct work relationship with on Twitter so I’m going to have to figure out if and who I want to target to join in.  In finding people to follow I’ve looked for teachers and teacher librarians and people whose bio suggests that their role is something similar to my new one of ICT coach.  Anyone from Australia is a definite pick – at least they are awake at roughly the same time as me; but it’s fun seeing tweets saying Good morning when I’m about to crash.

And of course Twitter was blocked at school.  I’ve had it unblocked but it doesn’t function properly, all the text is too big and the links don’t work.  Before it was unblocked I was helped by @etalbert who suggested using BeTwittered on my iGoogle page, worked a treat so a good tip if you can’t get Twitter unblocked.  Of course, that doesn’t help if someone wants to signup for Twitter as even unblocked, the Twitter site won’t work for this at my school.  Don’t know the answer there, other than people using their home internet to join – hardly the best way to promote a tool for education!

All in all it’s been very positive and I’m looking forward to getting more involved.

Heather

1. I really enjoyed reading your post Heather! I’ve been using twitter for several months now and found that it has taken over facebook as my most useful social/educational networking tool. A great idea to post your early experiences as it will be most helpful for us to show other teachers who are new to twitter.
    Lucy 🙂

2. Thanks Lucy. For ages I was really reluctant to give it a go, I really think Twitter is one of those things that you just can’t “get” until you actually do it…which makes it hard to explain to others.