7

My new blog

I’ve just set up a new blog to use as a resource and communication tool with teachers at my school as part of my role as College ICT Coach.  It’s going to be private, this is not an advertisement and you won’t find a link to it here.  I want to be able to reassure the more fearful that they won’t be airing their inexperience in too public a forum.

However, I did want to share my first post, so here it is:

Short, sharp and to the point

That’s how I plan to present my regular 30 minute ICT PD sessions.  There will be Brekky Bytes (8-8.30am, come at 7.45 for coffee and toast) and Afternoon (i.c.) Tea (3.30-4pm) rotating between campuses.  In any four week period there should be one morning and one afternoon presentation at each campus.

These sessions will generally cover only one topic, tool or resource.  Hopefully you will walk away with one new skill or an idea that you can immediately find a use for.  Hopefully you will consolidate your learning by passing on this new thing to a colleague who couldn’t attend.  Learn, do, teach – that’s my motto!

So what do you want to know about?  What do you want to learn to do?  How can I help you integrate ICT in your classroom?  Let me know, leave a comment here, email or come and have a chat – I’m listening.

What do you think?

Heather

1. I think this is a great post! Love the idea too. I’m keen to get started with something similar very soon. Just trying to set myself up for a year of ICT first. I’m in a new school so I have to get my teacher computer, student computers and Interactive Whiteboard computer loaded with all the software/drivers etc I want and need. It’s a longer process than I would have first thought. I guess you don’t realise how much you personalise your computer environment when you teach.

2. Hi Heather. Well done! I may have to steal the name and the idea of afternoon (ic) Tea. I just love it.

3. Penny and Robyn, thanks for the comments. Robyn, I’m happy for you to steal whatever you want, I call it sharing!

4. I like your ideas of before and after school. I have tried something similar with a “Technology Lunch Bunch”. Are you having to buy the coffee, etc. yourself, or get $ support from the site?

How many campuses are you serving and how many days a week are you offering these events? Are those times within or outside teacher contract hours?

Thanks for the ideas and information!

5. Thanks for the comment, Jerry.
    Now to your questions!
    I have a small budget for catering. There are 2 campuses so basically I’m offering just one session a week. In our industrial agreement teachers can attend up to 3 hours of meeting times per week so my 30 minutes would usually fit within that; we also have to undertake 100 hours of professional development every 5 years to be re-registered so people can use their attendance as part of that.
    I’m particularly hoping that the before school sessions take off. It is so much easier to tackle something new at the start of the day when you are still fresh than at the end when most teachers have things they need to follow up on their minds.

6. Very important to be creative when planning professional development- you seem to have hit it- it is enticing and will be useful- and does not use too much of the teachers’ valuable time. Thanks for idea.

7. Great post! I enjoyed reading your article. I really needed the information for my equipment searching. I will be looking forward for your other posts.