4

DEECD Innovation Showcase

I attended my second DEECD Innovation Showcase today. As always getting out of school and amongst some interesting people with great ideas has inspired me to communicate.

Sadly, I wasn’t nearly as inspired by what I heard and saw as previously.  Don’t get me wrong, there were some fabulous speakers and many teachers doing wonderful things in their classrooms, although I heard less truly new stuff than previously.  No, it was the audience and the lack of wireless that failed to impress.  I couldn’t believe that everywhere I sat I was the only person in sight using a netbook or laptop.  I never write notes anymore because I know I’ll never look at them again and my handwriting is so slow and messy that even if I did I probably wouldn’t know what I wrote.  There was no public wifi but it still surprised me that there were only a few of us (richielambert, curry08, toze12, merspi, murcha and me) tweeting.

What I did enjoy were the keynotes from Charles Leadbeater and Adrian Camm.  These are people who force us to think about the why and how of what we do and we need these wake up calls.

Seeing what Lynette Barr and Louise Duncan are doing with games and mobile devices has only renewed my resolve to investigate this for my school and it was interesting to hear about how Cam Tingay is using Ning with upper primary students (even though, as Kanga37 pointed out) they are under 13, the minimum age according to the terms of service.

Apart from the lack of wireless, the organisation, facilities and food were all excellent.  And those Dyson Airblade hand-dryers in the restrooms were something else!

Dyson Airblade

Heather

1. Hit all the nails on the head.

I opened my laptop, saw no internet, then closed it again. I was really looking forward to the backchannel on Twitter. Possibly even a presenter even embracing it?

I wrote my notes and then typed them up on the train on the way home. Ridiculous double handling, but did allow me to revisit ideas. Possibly also concentrated a little more while not multitasking.

Charles Leadbetter, Adrian Camm and Brendan Hogan were fantastic. Joanne Blannin was also really good, but that whole Ning/Age issue was eating away at me the whole time.

The hand dryers were unreal! I thought of toasting one of my lunchtime rolls in there!

2. JET DRYER = Ultra High Speed Hygienic Hand Dryer
    A revolution in hand drying raising the bar in efficiency, hygiene and environmental friendliness.

The JET DRYER has been designed to dry hands fast and so much more.

FASTER
    3 infra red sensors detect the hands in micro seconds and a powerful motor provides airflow through jets to the front and back of hands, wiping the water of in approx. 10-15 seconds.
    Hands are dried faster than many hand dryers on the market today with up to 10 times the wind speed and concentrated to do the job properly.

MORE HYGIENIC
    Focusing on hygiene , the Jet Dryer utilises three layers of antibacterial coated air filters to provide cleaner air and reducing the spread of viruses and germs back onto the hands and surrounds.
    Antibacterial coating on the external surfaces assists with maintaining a cleaner environment for the user, as well as antibacterial coating in the internal air ducts to reduce bacteria build up from inside the hand dryer.
    Water collection becomes extremely important in eliminating the mess and wet floors as the water is wiped off the hands in rapid time.
    A water tank conveniently concealed and holding the water from approximately 500 pairs of hands, which can be emptied and rinsed during normal bathroom maintenance
    Optional HEPA air filters, carbon activated air filters, and aromatic health beneficial fragrances all contribute to maintaining the best hand drying solution for the user.

SAVINGS
    Reducing carbon footprint , being eco-friendly, and cost effective is just some more ways the JET DRYER shines in today’s world.
    Using up to 80% less electricity and operating within a third of the time of other conventional hand dryers, the JET DRYER contributes to considerable savings of time and money and carbon footprint.
    Paper towels are recognised as being expensive and environmentally unfriendly, using up natural resources and contributing to waste and landfill.
    Power consumption of the JET DRYER is so minimal that the savings against paper towels can be up to 90% and not to mention the labour intensive aspect of ordering, refilling, disposing of the paper towels.

QUALITY
    Reliability, safe and effective, nothing is worth doing without doing properly ..and quality has not been sacrificed.
    The construction using ABS plastic is not only burn proof, and antibacterial coated, the motor and parts are all covered with up to a 5 years warranty.
    Electrical sensors are built in to sense humidity, temperature and power faults.
    Noise absorption design means that the JET DRYER is so much quieter than some hand dryers…..65 dba ensures it to be more user friendly.
    An optional wind/volume speed volume control helps adjust for user preference and sensitive locations

ELEGANT DESIGN
    The JET DRYER whilst designed to do a job, achieves it with some clean and modern style.
    Four great metallic looking colours – Silver, Pearl White, Red & Blue helps match or add to the design of any washroom décor.
    Four blue led user lights help to add a real splash of life to impress the user, and the overall dimensions and clean lines create a special modern and impressive look.
    Comes with ability to be plugged in or hardwired providing an easy cost effective installation.