3

Embedding in the Ultranet – ProProfs Quiz

ProProfs Quiz maker is an easy way of making quizzes and tests for students.  I have used it for library orientation, for Book Week quizzes and for tests.  Here is one I did for Book Week this year that was designed to get students to look at our library Ultranet space:

Unfortunately I couldn’t actually embed the quiz in the library collaborative space because the code is of the “iframe” type.  I did put it into the space in its own iframe application but that’s not my preferred option as the students then see advertisements as they are not premium members like me.

Cheered by recent successes using “iframe” embed code in Learning Tasks, this week I put my year 10’s IT test into a Learning Task.  I checked out the task as a preview and from my perspective it was working perfectly.

I really shouldn’t be surprised when things go wrong but I was caught out again!

When the students opened the Learning Task there was just a great big white space where the test should have been.  Luckily I had also placed a link on our class collaborative space which was the way most of the students ended up accessing the test.

I also got some of them to try using Firefox and guess what? – worked perfectly.

So, in short, ProProfs quizzes will embed in a Learning Task but not a Collaborative Space; they will display in Firefox but not in IE9.

Heather

1. Nice detective work, Heather! For the record, everything seems to work OK in Safari 5.

Again, I shake my head in bewilderment at schools that only allow students to use one browser. It doesn’t really matter which one, although it tends to be IE people with this fixed mindset. Don’t you think there is a lot more learning going on when students can comparer how different browsers display the same content – or don’t display it?

2. Thanks for the comment.
    I don’t think it’s a question of the students only being allowed to use IE – I think that they, like many teachers, are simply unaware that there are alternatives or that it makes a difference. Firefox is installed on all our PCs but it is not the default browser and students are unable to change the defaults.
    I think in future I will be encouraging students to use Firefox more often, certainly with the Ultranet – it’s always worked best for me. As for myself, I chop and change between Firefox and Chrome – I usually have things open in both. Firefox is my default but I’m on the verge of changing to Chrome..except that the ultranet doesn’t work well in Chrome either!

3. Of course, what you don’t realise is that neither Chrome, Safari or Firefox are able to be managed centrally, unlike IE.

This from a technicians perspective is necessary to ensure a standardised experience for users, as well as making sure the user is as protected as possible. Can you imagine a classroom full of students with netbooks, where everyone is using a different browser, some with incorrect proxy settings, and your TSSP is not onsite on that day? Very difficult to get any teaching done 🙂

Since IE9 is now standards compliant, unlike IE8, it’s up to CSG and DEECD to make sure the Ultranet is also standards compliant. As it currently stands, IE8 is the ONLY supported browser.