2

New and interesting links (weekly)

• tags: evernote kindle notetaking

• tags: equipment reviews technology hardware

• Here are some links for Australian Curriculum courses currently live in the iTunes U store – you will need to open them on an iOS device with the free iTunes U app installed to get the most out of them.

tags: iPad apps iTunesU KDSiPad

• tags: digital literacy reading book review INF530

• tags: school improvement students parents

• tags: design for learning

• tags: INF530 CSU

• In a recent article about happiness at work, Harvard professor Rosabeth Moss Kanter suggests that the happiest among us are those who are solving the toughest problems and “making a difference” in people’s lives. If contributing to the betterment of the world is indeed among the keys to happiness, then it’s no wonder that the extraordinary teachers featured in “American Teacher: Heroes of the Classroom” [Welcome Books/Random House] express a deep sense of fulfillment and pleasure in the work that they do day in and day out. Against all odds, each of the fifty educators profiled is making a lasting positive impact on his or her students; the kind of impact that recasts futures, changes lives, and might just inspire the rest of us to consider a second career in education. As Ron Poplau, a 52-year public-school veteran who teaches high school community service in Shawnee, Kansas, explains to his students, “the doer of good becomes good.” Still need a nudge? Here are 21 excellent reasons to quit your job and become a teacher:

tags: teaching teachers

• Recently, a project I spent some time on last spring and summer came to life. Teaching in the Connected Learning Classroom is now available for free download as a PDF or a 99 cent eBook via the Amazon Kindle store. I’m biased, but I think you should take a peek.
    The goal of the project was to put a face of specific examples from real classrooms on the Connected Learning principles. Again, I’m biased, but I think if you read the text, and follow the links to the projects from Digital Is we focused on, I think you’ll get a sense that real, live teachers and students are engaging in some very dynamic work in classrooms right now. They’re not waiting for someone to show the way. I was particularly pleased to see so many examples of “teacher” and “student” shown in the text. We all take turns with both of these roles. That’s important to remember. Gail, Mike, Adam, and Jenny, the teachers who wrote the examples I showcase in the chapter I worked on, were all my teachers on this project and I’m grateful for their contributions to my learning and this text. You will be, too. So take a look already.

tags: connected learning connected learner INF530

• tags: collaboration context content INF530

• tags: book creator iPad Apps classroom activities

• Teaching in schools that have normalised the use of digital technology by all teachers, in all the teaching rooms – schools that have gone digital – is dramatically different to teaching in the traditional paper based school and is on track to become ever more so.

It is a fundamental difference requiring of the teachers a suite of skills and mindset that few teaching institutes, national teaching standards or indeed teacher education organisations recognise as being required, but explore the work of the teachers in the pathfinder schools in the US, UK, NZ or Australia and you’ll see they are rapidly developing a suite of distinct attributes to assist them thrive professionally in the schools of an ever more digital, networked and collaborative world, where that human networking is daily aided by ever more sophisticated network technology.

tags: digital literacy teaching teachers inf530

• It could be argued—and probably argued well—that what a student fundamentally needs to know today isn’t much different than what Tom Sawyer or Joan of Arc or Alexander the Great needed to know.

Communication.

Resourcefulness.

Creativity.

Persistence.

How true this turns out to be depends on how macro you want to get. If we want to discuss our needs as humans in broad, sweeping themes, then food, water, shelter, connectivity, safety, and some degree of self-esteem pretty much cover it.

But in an increasingly connected and digital world, the things a student needs to know are indeed changing—fundamental human needs sometimes drastically redressed for an alien modern world. Just as salt allowed for the keeping of meats, the advent of antibiotics made deadly viruses and diseases simply inconvenient, and electricity completely altered when and where we slept and work and played, technology is again changing the kind of “stuff” a student needs to know.

Of course, these are just starters. Such a list really could go on forever.

tags: digital literacy students INF530

• tags: iPad KDSiPad music

• An essential part of online research is the ability to critically evaluate information. This includes the ability to read and evaluate its level of accuracy, reliability and bias. When we recently assessed 770 seventh graders in two states to study these areas, the results definitely got our attention. Unfortunately, over 70 percent of their responses suggested that:

Middle school students are more concerned with content relevance than with credibility.
    They rarely attend to source features such as author, venue or publication type to evaluate reliability and author perspective.
    When they do refer to source features in their explanations, their judgments are often vague, superficial and lack reasoned justification.

tags: digital literacy INF530 adolescents

• Today, the idea of flipping the classroom is a familiar one. Flipping teachers may not be so familiar. Don’t panic though – I’m not advocating violence, nor am I suggesting children use obscene gestures. Flipping teachers is about swapping roles. I have already written about this in previous posts. The idea that teachers should become students so that their students can act as teachers may still be contentious and problematic, but I believe that as we see more flipped classroom approaches, the argument for also flipping the role of the teacher will become more compelling, and eventually more acceptable.

tags: teaching learning flipped classroom classroom activities

• tags: Google Drive iPad KDSiPad

• “This is a site aimed at teachers, parents and children looking for great educational apps!  With many years experience teaching primary school children and coordinating ICT in schools we have scoured Apple’s app store, Google Play and lots of app-recommending websites and have tried out many apps in order to recommend what we consider the best educational apps available.  So many other websites recommending apps don’t actually research or try them first. We do!
    We aim to make finding suitable apps more straightforward and less time consuming.  Filter by age – there are apps for preschool, early years and Key Stage 1 and 2.  You can filter by subject.  Alternatively, if you know what you’re looking for, see if we list it using the search box.”

tags: iPad apps KDSiPad

• The content hosted on Youtube is pretty diverse. But while diversity is good, not all videos are suitable for all ages, especially for the younger ones. According to a report published by The Information, the video site is developing a children-friendly version designed specifically for children under ten years old. Google has already started talking to video producers who are interested in creating video content for kids, the report says.
    Although Youtube already has a safe mode, it still features lots of stuff (especially advertisements) that isn’t always appropriate for kids. The idea behind the move seems to be a noble one: Creating a great place to find videos that are suitable for kids, and parents can trust both for videos and comments.

tags: youtube videos children KDSBytes

• Cyber-bullying, update-addiction, sexting – from the perspective of a parent raising a ”digital native” child, social media seems fraught with dangers. But new research suggests the risks inherent in social media use by younger generations might be overblown.
    danah boyd, assistant research professor at Harvard and principal researcher for Microsoft Research – like k.d.lang, she prefers the lower case – has completed a large-scale study on how US teenagers use the internet in general, and social media in particular. Her book is called It’s Complicated, and is the result of in-depth interviews with scores of teens over an eight-year period.
    Her findings are intriguing. The result has not been the social disaster many pundits claim to see.

tags: cybersafety bullying KDSBytes Danah Boyd

• Resources to help you understand what critical thinking means and how critical thinkers think. Learn to express yourself clearly and develop a balanced argument

tags: thinking tools thinking digital literacy

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

Heather

1. Normally I do not read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this writeup very compelled me to try and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, quite great article. cabakkebecakbdbe

2. Price list of all Micromax mobile phones in India with specifications and features available. Click here to get all the information.