3

A new year, a new blogging challenge

creative commons licensed ( BY-NC-SA ) flickr photo shared by Sunchild57 Photography.

This poor blog has been sadly neglected – I’ve been focusing on writing on my Thinkspace blog, the reflective tool for my Masters of Education (Knowledge Networks and Digital Innovation) studies – but the tweet I saw this afternoon from my friend Celia caught my eye:

I checked out the link and the challenge looks interesting AND do-able! I’m not promising to write much but I’ll make the effort to write regularly AND I’ll make the effort to comment. One of the things I found most satisfying about the subject I did in second semester last year (INF536 Designing Spaces for Learning) was the requirement, not just for regular blog posts, but to comment on three other blogs on each topic. It’s so easy to read a blog post and have your own thoughts; so much tougher (and sometimes scary) to commit to responding…but as the writer of blog posts so rewarding to get those comments.

I’ll probably rely on the weekly topics but who knows, I might find new inspiration too. So here goes…

What is your “one word” that will inspire you in your classroom or school in 2015?

Connection.

As the Library Manager at my school I am hugely excited that we are changing over to a new library management system AND introducing LibGuides this year. They will both, in their own ways, separately and together, allow the library to develop new and stronger connections with students, teachers, classes, subjects, teaching and learning. We will go from having virtually no online presence to a 24/7 library. Bring it on!

Heather

1. Sounds interesting Heather. I was left wondering what exactly a 24/7 library looks like, I thought that was the internet? How does LibGuides add to that? Also, does this compliment other means of curating information?

I like the idea of connection because it feels like it has so many possibilities. Community. Classroom. Cohort. Colleagues. Look forward to following …

2. Thanks for commenting Aaron.
    Well, we all know how vast the internet is…LibGuides will be how we, as teacher-librarians, select and share the best resources for students and teachers and assist them in using them. It is complementary to other forms of curation.
    Our LibGuides site will become our school library’s public website with access to school only stuff for those with the appropriate log in…our 24/7 library.
    You can read more about LibGuides here http://springshare.com/libguides/

3. I’m with you — connection rocks. And not just for us, but for our kids, too. I love sharing with students how they can learn so much more by sharing with classmates, schoolmates, and even learners across the states. Google Docs, Skype, blogs – let’s get those kids connecting! (laurabradley.me)