Embedding in the Ultranet – Glogster


Glogster is a fabulous tool creating interactive posters. Glogs are an excellent format for students to create presentations showcasing their knowledge and understanding of topics studied.  There are heaps of options for customising fun and appealing graphics and text and all sorts of resources are easily linked or in the case of Youtube, placed straight on the Glog. You can read all about the benefits for students (according to Glogster) on the Glogster site.  I’ve used it as an ICT newsletter for our teachers (with the secondary motive of introducing Glogster)
and as a pathfinder of resources for student research projects.

Embedding in the Ultranet


Two months ago when I embedded the aforementioned ICT newsletter in our staff resources design space the code looked like this:

<embed width=”760″ height=”1028″ wmode=”window” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” src=”http://edu.glogster.com/flash/flash_loader.swf&#63;ver=1306921161″ flashvars=”sl=http://edu.glogster.com/flash/glog.swf&#63;ver=1306921161&amp;gi=20779579&amp;ui=8744139&amp;li=3&amp;fu=http://edu.glogster.com/flash/&amp;su=http://edu.glogster.com/connector/&amp;fn=http://edu.glogster.com/fontyedu/&amp;embed=true&amp;pu=http://edu.glogster.com/blog-thumbs/11/20/77/95/20779579_2.jpg&amp;google_analytics_url=http://edu.glogster.com/js/glogsterGA.js&amp;si=x&amp;gw=3,8,0&amp;gh=5,1,4″ allowfullscreen=”true”></embed>

and worked perfectly.

A few weeks later when I tried to embed the pathfinder into my library collaborative space the code looked like this:

<iframe src=”http://edu.glogster.com/glog.php?glog_id=21409784&scale=100″ width=”960″ height=”1300″ frameborder=”0″ scrolling=”no” marginheight=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ style=”overflow: hidden;”></iframe>

and wouldn’t work at all.

That actually wasn’t a surprise because I’d already had failures with code that starts with “<iframe” but it was a BIG disappointment.  I got onto Glogster’s support site and posted a question about the code, specifically was there any way for them to provide “old style” embed code as an option (a la Youtube) but I haven’t had a response.

Incidentally, to make these glogs fit here I have slightly altered the code – where you see scale=100 I have changed 100 to 65, meaning 65% of the original size.

Network issues

All aspects of Glogster have worked perfectly within my school’s network and internet filters.